Saturday, August 27, 2016

A Game of Thrones by George R.R Martin

4 stars

“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

13496I'm giving this damn book 4 stars because I really liked and I think if I really liked a book I should be able to rate it accordingly without feeling the need to justify myself. I liked this book and I know people are going to disagree, people have disagreed and they probably have justified critical reasons behind them which if I read this reasons I would probably find I could agree with some of them.
I wasn't sure about this one to begin with, I definitely thought it would be one of those cases where the tv show/movie is better but I wouldn't be able to tell you which one I think is better. I think they need each other. The tv series has made it so much easier to understand the book because now I already know things heading in and it feels like less of a head ache to try and learn all these new things. The book though has also made the tv series a lot easier to understand, I know understand some of the motives behind things that aren't really explained. I actually recognise some characters and plot lines that I didn't before.

I love the characters, they're all so different with different motives and different morals. My favourite would have to be Arya, she is so determined and independent which is why this book has earned a spot in my kick ass females shelf. I feel connected to them and I actually want to know what happens to these characters which is my main motivation for continuing the series.
I also just think this is a fun to read because of all the fan theories. My mum (whose on the third book but up to date with the show) discuss it all the time, this is a really good book for discussion. There are so many little plot lines and characters that it could probably hold a conversation for a very long time.

It has quite a few heavy themes with deaths and killing and a bit of gore that I often have to skip through but if you don't mind that then it's great. Surprisingly enough I manage pretty well with it despite fainting last year while learning about first aid. It also involves incest but it doesn't bother me since it is set quite a few years back when incest was used to keep the bloodlines pure and it's part of the story building.

In the end, you have to be into this sort of stuff. If you don't like fantasy then chances are this won't be the book for you but if you do then I say give it a shot. I know I say this a lot but books are so much to do with personal preference and I don't entirely believe in good books and bad books. I believe in books that I liked and books that I didn't. I liked Game of Thrones and I am very ready to read A Clash of Kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment