Wednesday, September 13, 2017

DNF-ing: A Discussion

It's been ages since I've done a discussion post and this has been on my min recently. I don't often DNF books. I just hate leaving them unfinished but, I've been doing it a lot more recently. If a book doesn't grab me in a reasonable amount of time, I just don't have patience for it anymore. I just DNFed a book today because I just wasn't feeling it. So, it's something I'm doing a lot more often.

I think I've started to just have less patience with books I don't like. I don't get a lot of time these days to read so when I do, it's like it's frustrating for me if I'm wasting my reading time on crappy books. Which is almost a theme with everything nowadays. With so little time in my days I don't like wasting my time doing things that aren't productive somewhat and for me, reading books I don't enjoy is counter productive. 

As I said, I don't really like to DNF books. It just feels every unsatisfactory. But, I'm trying to bring myself to be more comfortable with it so I don't end up forcing myself through books I don't want to read. And, I'm also a huge mood reader so I can get half way through books and just become uninterested because I suddenly want to read a high-action fantasy or something. So, why not just put it down and pick something else up. But, no, because my brain tells me I must finish every book I
pick up. 

DNF-ing for me, is really about quality and enjoyment. Which is something I struggle with especially with my blog because I want to read things to review for the blog or because everyone else in the blogosphere is reading it. Which sometimes takes enjoyment out of it so in my reading I'm trying to think a little less about the blog and letting myself DNF reads and not force myself through for the sake of a review. DNF-ing is all about being able to read the things you want and not waste time with crappy books. I want to read good books that I enjoy because I don't have a lot of time to read anymore so when I do read I want it to be good. 

So, I don't know. Maybe DNF-ing books is less of a big thing for everyone else. I'm trying to make it less of a thing for myself so I can get maximum enjoyment out of my life. I just don't really have time to be reading books that are unsatisfactory. So, I guess I want to know, what are your feelings on DNF-ing? Do you do it? Do you like doing it? 

6 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that I really don't like dnf'ing books, and I try to avoid it as much as possible. Which stinks because sometimes I just know I'm not into a book, and I push through for no reason. It's good that you're starting to warm up to it though! There's no use in wasting your time with bad books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I completely get it. It's frustrating but at least I'm warming up to the idea.

      Delete
  2. I admire people who can DNF!! I really really can't *cries* and I should LEARN how to do it because it's not a big deal if we don't finish unenjoyable books right?!? It saves time and annoyance and life is too short to waste on books that aren't working for us...and yet here I am, still reading through to finish everything.😂 So it's definitely something I need to work on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It really isn't a big deal but it still feels like it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful discussion!! I absolutely refused to DNF a book until I decided to make a "Should Have DNFed" shelf on Goodreads. When I saw how quickly that was filling up, I decided I needed to be less stubborn :)

    ReplyDelete