Friday, January 20, 2017

Three Dark Crown by Kendare Blake

3 Stars

“I want revenge." She whispers, and her fingers trail bloody streaks down Natalia's arms.
"And then I want my crown.” 

28374007I've seen a lot of reviews of this and a lot of people didn't seem to like it. I actually quite liked it though, I didn't go in expecting too much because of all the reviews I've seen. So, I was pleasantly surprised by it. I had a few minor issues but there were quite a few positives too.

Starting with a couple of my issues with the book. I thought the pacing was slow and I don't think the world was explained very well. The whole book seemed to be a lead up to this 'explosion' style ending, which most books are but in this one, you could really feel it. It was dragging and felt like there was just things happening for the sake of filling in time. But, this could've been used to give readers a better grasp of the world and the plot and answer a few things. I found a lot of my basic questions I had upon beginning the book weren't answered. I just didn't completely understand which made it less enjoyable.

I did really like the idea. I think that's really cool, not going to lie, I did think this was a stand-alone so I did think we'd get to find out which queen wins. Alas, it has a sequel on it's way so we don't find out who wins yet although I have a theory that no one will. I really like the triplet queens and I like that Mirabella really had that sense of family still in her which complicates things a little. 

I like that not only are the triplets big players in the game, also Jules. Jules contributed to a lot of the story. It's almost like Jules and her relationship with Joseph sets the whole climax. Actually, there's no almost about it at all, it does set up the climax. I like that it revolves around the queens but it isn't all about the queens if that makes any sense to you at all. 

I love any books with royalty. It gives that really old timey vibe that I so like and it usually gives a high fantasy vibe too. I never even liked high fantasy before I started my blog. I'm just obsessed with that whole dark fantasy king and queen thing. I'm having a hard time trying to explain it so I'm just going to hope someone gets me. If you like royalty in books, you'll like this si what I think I'm trying to get to.

I really enjoyed it, not to mention that my copy is really gorgeous to look at. I'd recommend giving it a go yourself and seeing how you feel about it because as I said earlier, there has been some mixed feelings about and I almost didn't read it because of that. Hopefully you like it as much as I did. 

4 comments:

  1. Reviews seem pretty mixed for this book, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it! I'm the same - I'll probably try anything that involves royalty, which is why I'll definitely be picking this up when I find it at my library ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely intrigued by this book, but it doesn't really look like my cup of tea. Idk, maybe I'll pick it up one day, but it's definitely not a priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean. I hope you enjoy it if you ever pick it up!

      Delete