Saturday, January 21, 2017

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

3 Stars

“I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard.”  

4374400Hmm, not sure about this. Really not sure, this is one that didn't give me any nostalgia to reread or anything. It didn't really make me feel a whole lot. I'm pretty sure this will be a fairly short review, not because I don't like If I Stay, I do. It just doesn't give me that many feelings.

The thing I love most about If I Stay, and the reason I reread it is Mia's passion for cello and music. It reminds me of myself even though I tend to have a love hate relationship with my trumpet sometimes. It always makes me want to try harder with my own music and in my own band. So, I like it for the fact that it inspires me to work harder. I also feel at one with her when she talks about the cello being a dorky instrument. A lot of people my age, in my music class play the guitar or the piano or whatnot. I can sympathise with her when she says she doesn't feel like she fits in with her family because she plays the cello and likes classical music.

I loved reading about her family and her relationship with her family reminds me a lot of mine. Thinking about it, Mia and I are very similar. I think her parents are just hilarious and very non conventional but still fantastic parents. Honestly, I could've done without Adam and just had the family. It's nice to read about such a good and in tact family. They're so supportive and wonderful, I love it.

I liked the idea of it, I tend to like to believe that it's your choice when you let go and not the choice of your vital organs but I'm a romantic that way. I wish we got to see a bit more internal struggle with that staying or going. I know if it were me, I would be having an absolute rollercoaster of feelings. Although, it's a nice and quick read. It has some really lovely moments but I'm not in love with it as much as I'd like to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment