Saturday, January 07, 2017

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

4 Stars

9361589“The finest of pleasures are always the unexpected ones.”

This was absolutely enchanting. From the moment I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. It had a certain magic about it.

I wasn't expecting it at all. I was honestly expecting some sort of Water For Elephants cheesy type of romance and circus setting. Not that I don't love Water For Elephants, don't hurt me Sara Gruen. It wasn't anything like I'd expected, the circus setting was absolutely captivating. It had an air of magic and mystery and wonder. It was written in such a romantic style too, which enhanced all the wonderful things about this book.

Celia and Marco definitely reminded me of Jacob and Marlena from Water For Elephants. I'm not entirely sure I liked Marco but I could feel the way he felt for Celia through the pages and it was beautiful. The forbiddeness of it made it all the more passionate. I love the way their relationship tied in through the story.

I adore Bailey. You can really feel his passion and love for the circus pulsing from the pages. It is so genuine, you can tell he truly is dazzled by the circus. It was wonderful to read a character with such passion and enchantment. He such a pleasant character to read and through him you got to feel so many things.

Morgenstern wrote a circus I would adore. It was a really playful air about it. Everything tied in beautifully even when it felt like reading a billion different stories. The characters were beautifully written and the plot was clearly very carefully crafted. I love that I can feel the amount of work that's gone into writing this book. It's intense but still light and it truly is something.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this book. It's one of my all-time favorites. It's the world building for me. I wish I could be at hat circus. Love this book.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete