Saturday, February 25, 2017

The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand

4 Stars

“Time passes. That's the rule. No matter what happens, no matter how much it might feel like everything in your life has been frozen around one particular moment, time marches on.”  

No doubt about it, this is a stunning book and a perfect reread. I think it deserves all the praise. Books about loss aren't spread too far but this is one that really sticks with me.
17285330
The thing that makes The Last Time We Say Goodbye different to other books about loss and death, is it's bluntness. It is so blunt, it doesn't make it sound romantic or anything. It could be described as morbid, which I guess it is, but essentially Lex just says it how it is. Other books I've read tend to sugar coat it but I personally don't think death can be sugar coated. So, this book really stands out to me and gives me all the sad feelings.

I've always had an odd fascination with grief and the grieving process of individuals, so you could say this book is right up my alley. It definitely has a big focus on the way Lex recovers from the loss and how it changes the way she interacts with others, and the way others interact with her. I like that it doesn't focus on some huge love story by trying to add romance where unnecessary. There is love story but it is appropriate and it adds to the story by helping us better understand Lex's grief and situation.

I also like that we can see how such a horrible event has given Lex the opportunity to change for the better and become a more thoughtful person. I think some times we forget that admist the bad, there are oppurtunities to better ourselves so it's nice to see that little reminder in Lex. I really appreciate the development she went through.

All in all, it's probably one of my favourite contemporaries. I love all the ideas it gives and it made me look at death just a little differently. It provoked quite a few thoughts and questions of my own about death and the afterlife. I love how it focuses on grief and we really get to look in to how it affects not only those grieving but those around. It's a good book, it's a very good book. I would absolutely recommend this.

2 comments:

  1. I read this last year and absolutely loved it too! It is such a wonderous book and so so well written!

    xx Anisha | thanks for stopping by at Sprinkled Pages

    ReplyDelete