Saturday, February 04, 2017

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

3 Stars

“You've got the look of a girl who's no stranger to the page. I can tell. You've got words in your soul.”

29845906From a few reviews I skimmed on Goodreads, I can see that people either love this book or hate it but I'm on the fence. There were good points and not so good points. All of which I'll try to touch on.

Firstly, the writing is very poetic. It's all metaphors and similes. Some of them lost me, some of them had me confused. The poetic style of writing reminded me of All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doeer but on drugs. I know a lot of people can't stand poetic writing, I for one don't mind it but it tends to lose my attention quicker. It was strange and hard to get into but not necessarily bad, that would depend on who you are.

Secondly, for a long time I had no idea what was happening. This could have been my fault as the reader but also it didn't match up with the blurb for a while. I don't feel like I learnt the world very well either. The way information was given was different but it was also kind of like a history lesson and as a bit of a lazy reader, I took absolutely nothing in. I was completely lost on the world.

It reminded me of Game of Thrones meets Throne of Glass. At first I thought it was literally just a rip off of Throne of Glass but it does have its differences and a very different style of writing and story telling. Where I found Throne of Glass more captivating, Nevernight was more dragging. There is no way I would've been able to marathon this book. The story telling reminded me a lot of the way George R.R Martin tells his stories and I liked Game of Thrones but it just isn't something I could devour in one sitting, I need a small piece and then I have to digest that before asking for seconds.

It had a pretty great plot twist which sort of woke me up as I was approaching the end. I say it was great because I really adored one of the characters involved and I think those are the best kind of plot twists. It was cool and well done in my opinion. It wasn't completely out of nowhere and as far as I can tell I can't see any major plot holes in it.

There were a lot of things I wish I got to know more about. I've been left with a lot of questions but not the good kind just the kind where there was a lack of information. I just don't have a complete understanding of the world Jay Kristoff has created here, I don't have a clear grasp of it at all.

I think I will read the next book because despite the not so great things I've touched on, it was pretty good. By the end I found myself really enjoying it. I think it's going to be very hit and miss with a lot of people. I really appreciated the unique story telling and lets be real, the beautiful cover. Not a bad read at all. It would be interesting to reread it now knowing what it's about and seeing what I pick up on without focusing so hard on trying to keep up with the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment