Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Quality or Quantity?

The age old debate is back. Which is more important? Should I be pumping out blog posts by the minute or should I take my time to ensure they are quality posts? The quality and quantity question applies to almost anything in life books, writing, music, cooking. You name it.

Which is more important, though? Would you rather your favourite author give you several books or give you one mind blowing book? I don't even know which I'd prefer. I think as people we always think of quantity because we're taught more is better, which it is in most cases but it doesn't always replace quality. I'd rather one good piece of chocolate than two crappy pieces but that's simple. There's tougher things like the author thing.

In my experience as a student, a blog writer and a musician. I'm stil trying to find my balance between quality and quantity. Some days I have no idea which I should be aiming for in any of these things. If I'm practicing my trumpet and I'm not having a great day musically, like it just isn't working for me, should I be still trying to practice for as long as I can? Is it still worth it when I'm not at my best? Should I keep going for that quantity even when I don't have the quality I need? If I'm revising for exams and nothing is sticking in my head or I can't focus or whatever it may be, is getting those study hours up still worth it? Those are just a few examples and things I've been thinking about for the past few weeks.

Theres countless more things it applies to and it applies to everything in a different way. I think ultimately, I would choose quality of quantity but sometimes it's tough to really think about what's more important. More books or better books? More authors or better authors?


Lets discuss

What are your thoughts? How does quality over quantity apply to your own life? Would you rather your favourite author give you several books or give you one mind blowing book?

4 comments:

  1. I definitely believe in quality over quantity. Why struggle to pump out 5 posts a week if it's not your best work? I learnt that the hard way a couple of months back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I can't say all my posts are equally good but I think it often reflects on the amount of work I've put into a post when they aren't as good as others.

      Delete
  2. The struggle between quality and quantity is so real. I lean towards the quality side but then I find it hard accepting less than “perfection”. This is so difficult writing especially and finding the balance. Although it would pain me to see my favourite authors having huge gaps between new books, I think I would always choose a mind-blowing book over several mediocre ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, some very interesting thoughts. I agree, it is especially hard when writing. I always have such an internal battle wanting to write more but also spend more time making my writing worth it.

      Delete